Friday, January 25, 2008

Let's go!

Here's to my first blog post. Yes, I'm now a blogger. I figure it's a good way to leave a mark, and share my life with others.

About me:

I'm a runner and climber who has recently adopted a Vegan lifestyle. I enjoy practicing yoga and just about any adventurous, healthy pursuit that has minimal environmental impact.

I'm not sure how to organize this site yet, so I'll just start with something.

This week, I did something that I have wanted to do for many, many years. I commuted to work without the use of fossil fuels. I ran with a small pack about 4.5 miles. It was about 50% road and 50% single track. It's very hilly too, so I was pleased with 43:45 for my first trek in the snow. There was about 5 minutes of bushwacking to pick up the trail, so I'm hoping that will go smoother next time. I showered at our fitness center and walked about 10 minutes to my building. The run home was about 0.5 miles shorter since I didn't have to go back to the fitness center.

The run was so exciting and I felt great all day. I managed to log about 9 miles and didn't have to rush to cram it in a lunchtime, etc. It took considerable preparation, but I think I can get the routine down for at least 2-3 days per week.

I'm lucky that I live close enough to work and have a reasonably safe route to make this possible. It's only recently become a reality for me.

There's a guy at work that has been doing a similar route everyday for the past 20 years. He's a pioneer and great trail runner. I don't think I could do it everyday, but it will be part of my life going forward.

No comments: