Sunday, March 15, 2009

A New Chapter

Do you ever look at your life as a chapter book? There's the chapter on early childhood, then the adolescent and teenage years followed by college days, etc. With the inception of Facebook, we can all see the people from various chapters of our lives. I get a real kick out of seeing pictures of my friends from high school and college. Some look the same, some older, and some actually look better. Some old friends I don't even recognize.

I feel like a new chapter is beginning in my book of life. As you all know, I recently became a Grandpa...but other changes have happened recently as well. I start transitioning into a new job tomorrow at one of our business units. I'm really excited about it. On the flip side, Dawn and I are no longer in a relationship. While I think it is probably the best thing for both of us, I do miss her at times.

Life rolls on...reality hits me when I see a leak in the ceiling or hear my Grand daughter cry. There's laundry to fold, etc.

This week, I didn't get in much mileage to speak of...Goat and I did the loop at the reservoir, and I got in some shorter runs during the week. I need to make a more concerted effort this week...especially with the new job starting up.

Ahh, the new job! Yes, I'm going to be traveling about 1/2 hour from home for the same pay, and working longer hours, yet I'm completely psyched about it. I believe it's one of those jobs you always dream about... I'll be leading a team of engineers dedicated to reducing the cost of commercial fuel cells. Basically, we need to prove that this alternate to fossil fuels is a viable business in order for our company to continue investing in the product line. I look at it as my opportunity to help save the planet (including the squirrels...remember Cheri and the saving the squirrels!). I am really excited about it.

So, today I was pondering all this while rock climbing with an old friend and his pregnant wife. The funny thing is....these folks are from previous chapters in my life. Pete was a business associate from a supplier for many years, then became a climbing mentor and friend. Next, we were there to support eachother through divorces (first him and then me). His new wife, Christine, dated me for a short period several years ago as part of a previous chapter in our lives. Things didn't work out with us, but eventually they started climbing together, then dating, and now things have really worked out for them. She is now pregnant with their baby, and I couldn't be happier for them.

The weather was incredible today, and we climbed at one of my favorite crags, Owl's Lair. Pete is a great climber, but is not currently in his best climbing shape. Still, he managed to send the Enforcer (5.11), a very difficult climb. It's one of the Connecticut traprock testpieces, and I've only climbed it clean (without falling) a couple times in past years. Christine was climbing amazingly well for being 6 months pregnant. I was a bit surprised to see her climbing, but she did great with her full body harness. As for me, I was just happy to be there. Natasha woke a rattlesnake in a crack right next to me. It was cool to hear the rattle as I'd never heard one. The Goat and Seabiscuit made a showing, and we all had a great time.

On my second try at the Enforcer, I made it with one fall and was satisfied. I knew I had gotten it clean in the past, and could get it again at some point this year. It wasn't high on my priority list. I climbed all the routes that I wanted, and was starting to think about packing up. Then Natasha asked me if I wanted to take another run on the Enforcer. I figured it was good to get the work out in, but didn't expect to get very far. I roped up, and headed up the intimidating face. Before I knew it, Natasha was yelling, "Great job!" I was pulling through every hard move without any hesitation. Then, I let out a big, "Woohoooo!" when I hit the top. How sweet it is....

While it wasn't that important for me to get the Enforcer clean today, it sure made my day a little brighter. I haven't climbed this well in a long time, and it makes me feel good about some of the climbing adventures I have planned for this summer. We'll see how that part of this new chapter goes....

So, a new chapter begins tomorrow, and I haven't been this excited in a long time. There's no doubt it will be interesting. The work will be challenging,watching my daughters, and grand daughter grow will be fantastic, and eventually I'll find the time to do the other important things in life.

As a wise man, Rudyard Kipling, once said, "If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds of distance run, then yours is the world and everything that's in it...and what's more, you'll be a man, my son." Here's to filling every minute!

Peace!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Good luck in the new job. Sounds like a challenge. Are you in the Bidwell Rd building? Or the main bldg? Our Pratt fleet mgmt group was in Bidwell for 3 yrs...