Sunday, September 25, 2011

Back in the game

Wow!  Back-to-back 8+ mile runs.  I can't believe it!  What a way to celebrate my almost one year anniversary.  I'm sure some of you are sick of hearing about my accident.  Believe me...I'm sick of thinking about it.  Today gave me a glimpse of what life could be like going forward.  It was nice.

I ran about 9 miles with my buddy, the Goat, yesterday.  He seemed a bit fatigued from the week and Reach the Beach.  He was one of our anchors for RTB as he logged 3 very tough legs.  He also was planning to do a 30 mile run today, so was holding back a bit.  As for me, I was fresh since I had only run 4 miles all week.  I was actually the one pushing the pace.  Granted, it was 9 minute pace, but it was on wet trails.  Either way, I felt stronger and less tentative with the leg.  I was more in balance.  Of course, I was sore afterwards and wondered how I would do today.

I wanted to help the Goat get through his long run.  The muggy weather is no fun when doing a long run.  Goat has company for the first 9 miles, then ran another 9 solo.  I met him at 10:30 and he looked like he was dragging a bit after nearly 18 miles and 3+ hours, but there was still work to be done.

I hadn't been up to Heublein Tower in awhile, so we headed in that direction.  It was like old times.  We chugged along and talked.  I listened a lot since this was Goat's training run.  On the way back, Goat was losing form.  I was a few strides in front of him and told him he needed to pull his form together.  I've been obsessed with form lately, since mine has been so rough.  He said, "I'm doing OK."  I told him he was dragging his feet.  He said, "How does the Master know if he cannot see me?"  I said, "I can hear you Grasshopper!" We laughed.   I told him I needed to hear less "grass" and more "hop".  We both burst out laughing!

We walked a bit, took in the beautiful views around the reservoir, and then finished off the run.  Goat logged a total of 26.2 miles in 5 hours on some tough terrain.  A few more runs like this one and he'll be ready for Stonecat.

It's been fun reading about all the great races people are running this year.  I miss it a bit.  Hoping I can get back in good enough shape to run a few races.  We'll see...  If not, I'll just keep chugging along and having fun!

Have a great week everyone!

Peace,

Steve

No comments: