Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Getting ready for a New Year!

Did you have a good year in 2010?  Are you sorry to see it go...or are you happy to put it behind you and move on?  For me, I'm ready for a fresh start.  2010 was a tough year, but I also had some very good memories to reflect upon.

In 2010, I went on a great backcountry ski trip to British Columbia, paced Bruce G. at Western States, and paced the Goat in his first 100 miler in Vermont.  I watched my daughter graduate college, and watched my Granddaugher turn 1.  I met Charlotte in June, and we have been very lucky to share the last 6 months together. 

There has been stress and turmoil along the way with work and family, but who doesn't have something to fret about?  Since the accident, I have had my share of down moments, but I think I dwell less on the little stuff.  There was a panic on Christmas Eve when my Secret Santa gift could not be located.  It did not bother me in the least.  I said, "After you survive a 100 foot fall, a missing Secret Santa gift just doesn't seem that important."

I've been very fortunate to have the better part of two weeks off to end the year, and have tried to make the most of it in terms of the rehab.  I have made it to the gym nearly everyday and am routinely riding an hour on the bike and doing some upper body and core work.  Stretching feels great and my range of motion continues to improve.  Today, I managed to put in 17.4 miles on the bike in one hour which is a new record for me. Woohoo!  It really feels good to be on the road to recovery.  Sure, I used to run that distance routinely, but it's a new game now. 

Tim Ferriss, the author of the 4 Hour Work Week, released his new book, The 4 Hour Body (capitalizing on his first success I suppose).  Anyway, he sent me two free copies for volunteering to help with his book.  He didn't need me since he had the likes of Dean K. and Scott Jurek to lean on, but getting two complimentary copies of this voluminous work was very cool.  I think the book is over 400 pages and chock full of interesting insights and tips.  It just hit #1 on the NY Times bestseller list, so Tim is a happy camper.  Anyway, it has me stoked about getting my diet back on track and getting my body back in motion.  It's worth a look for anyone since he covers such a wide range of topics...check it out.

My old climbing partner, Alex, called today.  After exchanging holiday updates, he said he wanted to climb with me again and mentioned a trip being organized for Red Rocks.  I was psyched!  I'm not sure I'll be ready in time for that trip, but it felt good to fantasize about it for a few minutes.  Sure seems a lot more doable now than 4, 8, or 12 weeks ago.  I will be back before too long.

After talking to Alex, I was so excited that I decided to do some push-ups.  Go figure!  It may seem simple, but I haven't kneeled since the accident.  Frankly, it was terrifying, but I managed to kneel down, stretch my quads, and then crank out about 20 push-ups....not bad.  Getting up was interesting, but I managed OK.

While I'm improving almost daily, it is frustrating not being able to walk without crutches.  Goat and Charlotte took turns clearing my driveway due to the storm.  The snow kept drifting into the driveway, so it required multiple efforts.  I am grateful and humbled.  I just wish I could do it myself.  I understand why older folks fear losing their independence.  I'm glad it won't be snowing again for at least a week.  I hope to be off these crutches within 30 days.

Each day brings a new adventure.  It's a great time to be alive.  If things are stressing you out, don't sweat it.  If there's an adventure you have been putting off, go for it.  Life is too short. 

Happy New Year!  May 2011 be a great year for all of us!

Steve

No comments: