Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Chocolate Muffins Must Stop!

It was symbolic of the situation. I've become a regular chocolate muffin frequenter in our cafeteria. I'm so hooked on them that the cashier tries to save them for me. I've even had 2 in one sitting. It's bad! Today, one of my peers saw me about to bite into my chocolatie delight, and said,"YOU OF ALL PEOPLE should no better than to eat one of those things!! Look at the oil oozing into the napkin for Pete's sake!" I was caught brown handed.

Has it come to this? Has my health fallen so far off track that I eat chocolate muffins every morning. My weight is as high as it's been in 3 years (which is probably a good thing in the eyes of most people), but it's not muscle. I run twice a week and am a shadow of my former self in terms of speed and endurance. I once logged 90-100 miles per week for 2 months straight, and now I'm lucky to log 90-100 miles per month. I've been blaming my fitness level on age, but I can't really hide behind that excuse. I know I can mount a charge if I put in the miles.

It's time to quit whining and get off the couch. The Goat's on a business trip, so I decided to skip the hills. I barely got myself out the door to the gym. I jumped on the treadmill and started moving. I started faster than usual and thought it most unusual. I picked up the pace gradually and kept coaxing myself into more mileage. The UCONN-Northeastern NIT game was on, so it helped keep me engaged. Before I knew it, I had knocked off 8 miles at 7min pace....not bad for a chocolate-lovin' muffin man. It's a start.

Join me. Get off the couch and get in the game! Try to get in 4 aerobic workouts per week. I once ran 6:50's for the marathon. My goal is to get back there. It's going to take a lot, but tonight was a start. What's your goal? Tell me and then let's get after it!

Steve

2 comments:

GoBike said...

PB...I'm right there with you. I have been doing some cross training, suggest you give it a try to keep things fresh. Maybe dust off your bike. I ride the road bike 3x/wk, swim 2x/wk, lift 2x/wk, do 2 Jillian 30day shred workouts per wk and 2 bosu ball workouts per week, in addition to still going to the PT office 2x/wk. Its ok to eat the muffin once in a while, just keep the high output going and find that happy balance :)
GoBike!

Ultra Steve said...

Hey GoBike,

Sounds like you are doing great! Glad to see you are back in the game.

You have me motivated now!

Steve