Sunday, March 14, 2010

Traprock 50K Update and then some...

It's been a busy weekend for Goat and me. Plans are finally coming together for the race. We implemented plan B on Saturday and mapped out a new course. See our facebook page or for more details. Registration is officially open, so please sign up before April 6. We also shot a really fun video for your entertainment pleasure. Check it out on Facebook.

It's been awhile since I posted a blog entry. I love to write and chronicle recent events, but time has been tight lately. As far as adventure, Tara and I finally got out for our annual skiing ritual. We usually manage to get out once per year (and sometimes not even...). On Friday, we went to Catamount Ski area on the border of MA and NY. I grew up in NY and always wanted to check out the place. It's not a big ski area, but we had fun. I had 2 free passes that I picked up through the United Way Silent Auction at work, and wanted to use them before the snow turned to mud. We arrived at 9AM just as the lifts started up. Tara needed some coffee to wake up, so I sipped some hot cocoa. It was interested watching the old retired guys get ready for the big ski day. I thought, "So this is what retirement is like...". It looks a little lonely, but I'm sure I could get over that part pretty fast.

Tara and I laughed because our quads were sore after a couple runs. The conditions were better than I expected, but it did starting getting slushy in the afternoon. We skied until 2pm and Tara couldn't go on anymore. She was tired, so we headed for home. It was fun talking with her. She talked about raising money for Haiti and asked for ideas. I told her that maybe the Traprock 50K would donate if she showed up to help with the race. It sounded like a win/win to me. She took the hook...I wonder if she knows there is a 9 hour cut-off!

It was nice spending some time with Tara. She graduates from UCONN in May. I know she wants to travel and live in different places (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree I suppose), so I cherish these opportunities.

Similarly, my granddaughter, Maliyah, and I did her first 5K today. Sure, she's only 1, but it's never too early to start. OK, technically she rode in a stroller, but she covered the whole distance without complaining. She seemed to enjoy herself throughly until the last 0.3 miles or so. I have to admit it was chilly and windy. I kept trying to get her to keep her mittens on, but she kept pulling them off. I thought, "Her mother will never forgive me if they need to amputate for frostbite." At first, we could walk for 10 minutes and then I'd have to put the mitts back on her, then it became 100 yards, then 100 feet, and finally I gave up. She seems to have survived the event with both hands intact though.

I have to admit it was the first time I did the 5K loop in jeans and leather shoes. Maliyah waved to everyone and I encouraged some of the runners. I asked one guy that we saw pass us a few times how many laps he was doing. He smiled wide and proudly said, "Five, this is my last lap". I told him he was doing great...I think it made his day. Wonder if he's heard about the Traprock 50K?

Maliyah and I tried to run the downhills, but Grandpa's jeans kept falling down. Bummer. Maybe next time we'll get a baby jogger and test it out for real. I wonder if I'll be able to tell her about her first 5K someday as she prepares for her first ultra....

I can dream, eh?

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: